The Minister of the education highlighted the value of providing education to teachers in terms of meeting the need for increasing and flexible specialist training in dyslexia. A comprehensive course of more than 20 hours duration, it offers a framework for understanding the nature of dyslexia and provides the practical skills and strategies essential for detecting and responding to the needs of students with learning difficulties arising from dyslexia. A whole school approach to dyslexia and learning support is recommended and outlined, with an emphasis on effective collaboration.
The course will provide a critical review of current research into literacy development, a theoretical framework for understanding the nature of dyslexia and issues of identification.
Participants will learn how to assess individual difficulties within this framework and plan learning goals for intervention.
The course provides evidence-based support strategies and also reviews the most effective interventions and remediation programmes.
Designed by leading practitioners, this course will equip you with the knowledge and practical skills necessary to identify and intervene effectively with students with dyslexia or children at risk of developing reading difficulties.
What will I learn on this module?
This module will enable you to design, deliver and evaluate individualised teaching programmes to meet the specific needs of pupils with dyslexia that you assessed in the first module.
How will I learn on this module?
You will learn through lectures, seminars and independent learning. The lectures will cover theories and concepts that will enable you to participate in a series of guided tasks and exercises and practice tasks. You will work on these during seminars and practical sessions in computer labs which are fully equipped with the last industry-standard software.
How will I be supported academically on this module?
Support will include feedback from tutors during seminars and tutorials. In addition, tutors will respond to questions via the modules’ discussion board on the University’s eLearning Portal so that the whole group can benefit.
What will I be expected to read on this module?
All modules at Northumbria include a range of reading materials that students are expected to engage with. The reading list for this module can be found at: http://readinglists.northumbria.ac.uk
(Reading List service online guide for academic staff this containing contact details for the Reading List team – http://library.northumbria.ac.uk/readinglists)
What will I be expected to achieve?
On successful completion of the module you will be able to: Knowledge & Understanding
- Demonstrate knowledge of good practice in “Quality First” teaching of literacy.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the principles underlying structured, sequential, multi-sensory teaching.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the social, emotional, behavioural and community issues and their implications for learners with SpLD (dyslexia) and their families.
- Understand the methods and principles of staff development for an inclusive curriculum.
- Understand and critically appraise the role of ICT in the screening and support of pupils with SpLD; a range of technical aids for teaching, writing and numeracy; support and access to learning.
Intellectual, Professional Skills & Abilities
- Critically appraise and reflect on a range of learning strategies and structured, sequential, multi-sensory language and numeracy teaching programmes.
- Design, deliver and critically evaluate appropriate programmes in relation to the assessed needs of a range of learners with SpLD (dyslexia)
- Review classroom organisation to facilitate individual learning within the normal curriculum framework.
Personal Values Attributes
- Communicate effectively with teachers, parents and other professionals by verbal and written reports on the needs and achievements of learners with dyslexia.
Pre-register for Protemaacademy Erasmus+ Course:
Please fill in your contact information and select course for which you want to apply. We will provide you with more information as soon as possible!